Thursday, June 14, 2007

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Lost time is never found again
Benjamin Franklin (01/17/1706 - 04/17/1790) US statesman, economist and natural scientist

Many of us claim our days are never wasted. "I'm very organized" we say "I know where I am going and what I'm going to do". If you truly feel that way then you are in the minority. Most people become frustrated with a day that is unproductive. We would all like to get more done in a day. I know that I am not planning as well as I should when I start saying I wish I had more hours in the day. I have even thought about how much time I waste sleeping. If I could get by with 5 less hours of sleep a day, then by the end of the week I would have an extra day to get more things done. Then I quickly realize that giving up sleep is not the answer for me, I need all the beauty rest I can get. What I need to do is get more organized and start planning out my day and stop reacting to life’s emergencies.

The idea of time management has been in existence for more than 100 years. Unfortunately the term "Time management" creates a false impression of what a person is able to do. Time can't be managed, time is uncontrollable we can only manage ourselves and our use of timeTime management is actually self management. Its interesting that the skills we need to manage others are the same skills we need to manage ourselves: the ability to plan, delegate, organize, direct and control

In an effort to get more organized I have spent 1 hour each day this week organizing my office. It seems to be working. Today I was looking at purchasing a new day planners, and I wasted over an hour on the internet doing research. Not the best use of my time. I was considering purchasing the Franklin Covey System. Seems to have everything I am looking for. But I would love to hear what other people use. So in an effort to save time I thought I would conduct a simple pole. What type of day planners do you use?

No comments: